TOPRA is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
TOPRA may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 03 January 2017.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Name, company and job title
- Contact information including email addresses, addresses and postcodes
- Demographic information such as date of birth and nationality
- Preferences and interests
- CPD information uploaded by the individual or via automated processes
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
Internal record keeping.
We may use the information to improve our products and services.
We may periodically send promotional emails which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
As a membership organisation we have obligations to ensure all our members receive certain information, including on governance matters.
If you are a current member of TOPRA, opting out of promotional emails will not stop all communication from us.
By becoming a member of TOPRA, you are signing up to receive certain information relating to the organisation. It is a constitutional requirement for us to send this information to you.
TOPRA non members
If you are a non member of TOPRA, such as a commercial partner or someone who once attended a course or event you can choose to opt in or out of further contact with us when you register online for your account.
You can opt out at any time by unsubscribing at the bottom of any marketing email you receive.
How we receive and store your data
We also receive non member data through networking (e.g. business cards) and add these details, if relevant, onto our database. We also on occasion purchase ‘opt-in’ data lists for promotional campaigns from reputable providers.
We only keep non-member data for as long as is reasonably required and shall not be kept for longer than is necessary.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Cookies on the TOPRA website
This site, like many other sites, uses small files called cookies to help customise your experience. Find out more about cookies and how you can control them.
Quick description of cookies
'Cookies' are small text files that are stored by the browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari) or by a mobile phone (e.g. Android or iPhone) on your computer or mobile device. They allow websites to store such things as user preferences. You can think of cookies as providing a 'memory' for the website, enabling it to recognise a user and respond appropriately.
Cookies and their use
There are different types of cookies based on their use:
- Some cookies we use to remember your preferences for tools found on our web sites, so you don't have to re-enter them each time you switch a page or each time you visit. They will remember your user login, the language you prefer and other things such as what video streaming speeds you use.
- Some are created and used by web analytics software (such as Google Analytics) to track how many individual unique users we have, and how often they visit the site. Unless you are signed in to the site, these cookies cannot be used to identify you personally. If you are logged in, the login process links you to your stored membership record that includes your username and email address.
- Some cookies are used by software which tries to identify what country you are in based on the information supplied by your browser when it requests a web page. This cookie is completely anonymous, and is only used to help direct appropriate content - such as whether you see our UK or another home page - and advertising.
- When you register with us, we generate cookies that signal whether you are signed in or not. We use these cookies to determine which account you are signed in with, and if you should get access to a service.
- On some of our pages, third parties may also set their own anonymous cookies, for the purposes of tracking the use of their application, or tailoring the application for you. Because of how cookies work, we cannot access these cookies, nor can the third parties access the data in cookies used by us. As an example, when you share an article using a social media sharing button on our sites, the social network that has created the button will record that you have done this.
Turning off cookies
Most browsers and phones have a way to stop accepting classes of cookies, or to stop it accepting cookies from a particular website. For example, using cookies is needed in order to use our shopping cart, so you would not be able to buy things through our web site if you turned off our cookies.
Help in turning off cookies can be found in your browser or mobile phone help files or at www.aboutcookies.org
If you still have questions, please contact us.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Sign into the My TOPRA area of this website and edit your contact preferences
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the email, or by writing to or emailing our web team
Note: If you are a TOPRA member you may opt out of promotional and general emails, but we will still send you essential membership communications.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to: TOPRA, 6th Floor, 3 Harbour Exchange Square, London E14 9GE or email us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please edit your own record in the My TOPRA area of the website, or write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.