A summary of the TOPRA Lifelong Learning Scheme
Lifelong Learning is a tool for TOPRA Members at all stages of their careers, from new entrants to senior level.
What benefits will the TOPRA Lifelong Learning scheme give me?
- A tool for personal and professional planning and development
- A systematic way to analyse and review the development needs of your staff
- A way to demonstrate your commitment to professional development to employers and clients of contract/consulting companies
- A well-kept record that will form an invaluable part of your CV.
What is Lifelong Learning?
Lifelong Learning includes formal inhouse and external training courses with a broader concept which includes:
- Being mentored by a more senior colleague in some new aspect of regulatory work
- Consulting the internet for new or existing information and guidelines from the regulatory agencies
- Consulting the internet for regulatory intelligence (such as precedents from other companies’ submissions)
- Reading technical and professional publications
- Reading books and articles about management and 'soft skills' such as influencing, decision-making and negotiation
- Preparing presentations
- Preparing publications
- Work-based projects and short term role/department attachments
- Non-work activities such as voluntary work or coaching a team, especially when working on interpersonal or leadership skill areas
- Attending TOPRA Working Party or Committee meetings to plan training courses or conferences
- Attending industry or agency working party meetings
- Being coached.
How much time should I spend on Lifelong Learning?
TOPRA recommends 50-100 hours of all types of Lifelong Learning per year as a reasonable target.
What do I need to do to meet the TOPRA Lifelong Learning requirements?
- Define your development needs in a Personal Learning Plan
- Write down your proposed programme to meet the objectives of the Plan, keeping this under review throughout the year;
- Record all individual elements of Lifelong Learning as you go through the year
Where can I get further information and advice on Lifelong Learning?
Useful links can be found at the bottom of this page.
There is also an email helpline for further information and advice. Please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: although TOPRA makes every effort to provide its members with the highest standards of service, TOPRA is always looking to improve where necessary. Should you have any suggestions or comments, please contact TOPRA Lifelong Learning on email@example.com